House Fortescue

fortescue. fortescue1

The Original Fortescue House - Fortescue New Jersey - Postcard

Harriet Fortescue

Harriet
Quotations and photograph:
A Memoir of Mrs Urquhart / Mrs Bishop.
— London : Kegan Paul, 1897



Harriet Fortescue, wife of David Urquhart

David Urquhart would have been quite unable to organise the smooth running of the Foreign Affairs Committees without the support of Harriet, his gifted wife. Apart from her many secretarial tasks, she could always be relied upon to calm and sympathetically smoothe the many relationships which were ruffled by her pedantic, sometimes stubborn, and often unforgiving, husband. But she was a clear-thinking political writer who published articles under the pseudonym 'Caritas'. According to her biographer, Mrs Bishop:
Half her articles in his paper, the Free press, and her many other writings were by him, and half of his by her.

While, according to her eldest son, David Urquhart (Jnr), the argumentative work, the collating of extracts from despatches, treaties, &c, was done by her first, and then my father dictated the introduction and conclusion.


http://www.victorianturkishbath.org/1INTRODUCTION/pix/harriet_w.htm

Capture d’écran 2017-09-09 à 14.24.22


Capture d’écran 2017-09-09 à 14.25.22

Espace

Hugh Fortescue 3rd Earl of Fortescue - 1818-1905

Fortescue_hugh_3rd_Earl_1818-1905 Fortescue_hugh_3rd_Earl_1818-1905_2
http://www.antiquemapsandprints.com/p-4329.jpg

Vanity Fair Print 1881 Earl Fortescue
Capture d’écran 2011-08-22 à 22.21.17
Fortescue_hugh_3rd_Earl_1818-bef1905
19th Century Vanity Fair Print.  Dated September 17, 1881. 
Statesmen No. 372. 
 The Earl Fortescue
Subtitled "Sanitas"  Seated, with papers lying on the couch, a little different than the typical portraits. 

By T. 'Sanitas'. Seated. Wearing glasses.
Coloured. Overall size c. 8x14 ins.
Top Hat. Walking cane. (Politicians. Statesmen).

Espace

Hanafor Miss Fortescue (Dog) (Curiosité) Hanafor Miss Fortescue (Dog)

1992 Shows
Perdiz Vizslas

PERDIZ

Minor Puppy Bitch 3 entries

1st Bronzephyr Golden Liberty (Sloane)
2nd
Hanafor Miss Fortescue (Forster & DeZylva)
3rd Klerhunt Burg (Schnitzer)

Special Classes
Best Gaited
Hanafor Miss Fortescue


Junior Bitch 3 entries

1st Ch. Hanafor Lady Haversham (Lewis)
2nd Hanafor Wychton Willow (Croatto)
3rd
Hanafor Miss Fortescue (DeZylva & Forster)

Espace

House (Curiosité)

logo

floorplans_fortescue

Espace

Hugh Grenville Fortescue - 1838-1875

Fortescue_hugh_grenville_1838-1875

Espace

Hugh Fortescue 4th Earl of Fortescue - 1854-1932

Fortescue_hugh4
Sportsman and politician
4th Earl of Fortescue,
Hugh Fortescue (1854 - 1932).
Engraved by Joseph Brown from a photo by John Mayall

gettylogo

Fortescue_hugh_4th_Earl_Fortescue

Fortescue_hugh_4th_earl_1854-1932

Espace

Hugh Fortescue 2d Earl of Fortescue - Viscount Ebrington - 1783-1861

Fortescue_Hugh_2d_Earl_viscount_ebrington_1783-1861. Fortescue_hugh2


British politician Hugh Fortescue
(2nd Earl of Ebrington, 1783 - 1861)-
Engraved by W Holl from a painting by George Hayter

gettylogo

Fortescue_hugh2_bis

Fortescue_Hugh_2nd_Earl_of_fortescue

Espace

Henry Reymundo Fortescue Rector - 1820-1898

Fortescue_henry_reymundo_Rector_1820-1898

Espace

Henry James Francis Fortescue - 1848-1911

Fortescue_henry_james_francis_1848-1911

Espace

Henry Eric Fortescue - 1912-1941

Fortescue_henry_eric_1912-1941

Espace

Henry Charles Fortescue - 1878-aft1912

Fortescue_henry_charles_1878-aft1912

Espace

Harriet Fortescue

Fortescue_harriet

Espace

Harriet Eleanor Fortescue - 1836-1924

Fortescue_harriet_eleanor_1836-1924

Espace

Harold Joseph Fortescue - 1885-aft1915

Fortescue_harold_joseph_1885-aft1915

Espace

Harold Fortescue - 1881-1949

Fortescue_harold_1881-1949

Espace

Henrietta Anne Fortescue

La nouvelle lettre des Pyrénées
n°113 - Décembre 1996

Grand Tour
Il fut un temps où l'éducation des jeunes aristocrates anglais prévoyait un voyage sur le continent : le Grand Tour. La Tate Gallery à Londres consacre ce mois-ci une exposition sur ces premiers adeptes du tourisme. A Toulouse, les éditions Loubatières publient les dessins de Lady Fortescue pendant son Grand Tour en 1818 dans les Pyrénées. La jeune aristocrate anglaise arpenta les vallées pyrénéennes avec sa chambre claire, venant d'un monde dépeint dans le film Meurtre dans un jardin anglais. Au-delà de cette remarquable édition, soulignons une autre initiative relative au Grand Tour et concernant l'Italie. Lors d'une conférence de presse à Paris, sous l'égide de l'Office national du Tourisme italien, M. Luciano Scifone, directeur des affaires touristiques de la Campanie (région de Naples), a annoncé le développement d'une politique culturelle autour du thème du Grand Tour anglais. Des circuits vont être mis en place en Campanie sur les traces des premiers touristes, contemporains de Lady Fortescue. Précisons que les Pyrénées furent une destination somme toute secondaire pour les amateurs du Grand Tour, en raison des voies de communication peu confortables à l'époque. Alors que la construction européenne connaît quelques soubresauts, il est important de mettre en valeur ce genre de patrimoine culturel commun. De même, la région de Naples met en relief le Grand Tour, de même les Pyrénées sont mises en valeur par les chemins de Compostelle, ces veines ancestrales du corps européen. Il y a sur ces itinéraires un destin commun et les racines de la conscience européenne. Le fait que le thème du Grand Tour resurgisse sans préméditation à Londres, Naples et Toulouse est la preuve d'une identité commune et un petit tour joué aux contempteurs de l'Europe.





Capture d’écran 2017-09-13 à 19.31.38
Une Anglaise aux Pyrénées : Lady Fortescue
   Février-mars 1996





musee_suisse
Château de Wildegg
Exposition temporaire « En voyage à travers la Suisse avec bloc et crayon. Dessins de voyage datant du XIXe siècle » Du 19 mai au 31 octobre 2000, les visiteuses et visiteurs auront l'occasion de découvrir l'exposition «En voyage à travers la Suisse avec bloc et crayon», au Château de Wildegg. Henriette Fortescue, Ludwig Vogel et Christian Allers ont un point en commun: tous trois ont enregistré leurs impressions au crayon sur papier. Ces voyages documentés ont eu lieu dans les années 1820, 1857 et 1889 et illustrent les changements qui ont vu le jour au fil du temps et les conditions de voyage de l'époque. Tandis que Lady Fortescue trouvait encore de modestes auberges et des paysages alpins intacts, on rencontre chez Allers les premières installations mécaniques de remontée et des hôtels de luxe confortables avec portiers en livrée et orchestres.

d1_1

ef_1_b

5d_1




Capture d’écran 2017-09-14 à 19.06.57. dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-1 copie

dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-1
dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-2
dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-3

dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-4
dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-5
dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-6
dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-7
dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-8
dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-9
dp_exp-Lady Fortescue-10

Espace

Hugh Fortescue (Sport)

Brooklands Stories
00LOGO
Brooklands, Amphitheatre, Racetrack and Aviation Centre.
b112

Brooklands was the brainchild of a wealthy landowner, Hugh Fortesque Locke-King who decided during a European tour in 1906 that Britain had to have its own motor testing track if it's fledgling car industry was to develop and prosper in competition with the Europeans.

So just who was Hugh Locke-King and what was on the site originally?

At the beginning of this century the area south of Weybridge High Street in Surrey, England was know as Weybridge Heath, a sizeable tract of land bounded on one side by the River Wey and on the other by St. George's Hill. In the Iron Age there had been a village on the heath and the Romans had walked the land in the early days of Christianity.

Brooklands took its name from the 12th century lord of the manor, Robert del Brok. In the sixteenth century Henry VIII used it as a hunting ground, his local residence being Oatlands Palace. The 700 acres that made up Brooklands Farm and Byfleet Park Farm were owned, during the 19th century, by the Duke of York who sold them for £28,000 in 1830 to Peter King the 7th Baron of Ockham. Hugh Locke-King was Peter King's son; the man who was to build Brooklands.

The site, approximately 300 acres of swampy and wooded land was crossed by the River Wey, bounded to the west by a railway, even boasted it's own sewage works. In retrospect it may not sound like an ideal proposition for building a 100 foot wide egg shaped, banked concrete race track measuring about 2.75 miles around, but this was to become Brooklands, the world's first real race track, enclosing its own aerodrome (
click here for aerial view). Within months Brooklands was to become world famous, to endure as a centre of technical innovation in motor racing for thirty one years and in aviation for considerably longer than anyone could have possibly imagined in 1907, now almost ninety years ago.

In Europe, motor racing on public roads had been commonplace since before the turn of the century but in Britain it was actively discouraged. In 1906 Hugh Locke-King had attended both the Italian Targa Florio and the French Grand Prix, both run on public roads with not a single British car to be seen. The speed limit which on Britain's roads was 20 miles per hour was to remain in force until 1930. British car makers obviously had no chance at all of competing in Europe on equal terms and it was obvious to Hugh Locke-King that an English off-road track and testing ground was sorely needed. In consequence he convened a meeting of like-minded motoring enthusiasts in Weybridge in September 1906. Present were the men who were to play a crucial part in the early days of British motor sport. Mr. E. de Rodakowski, who was to become Clerk of the Course at Brooklands opened the meeting and outlined the plans.

Experienced race driver and car dealer, 29 year old Charles Jarrott suggested a very large high speed track. Selwyn Edge, whose London based Motor Power Company held the agency for Napier cars, was keen that the cars should be visible to the spectators for as much of the circuit as possible. The conclusion was that the track would have to be banked, 100 feet wide and nearly 30 feet high in places.

To end on a high note, Selwyn Edge surprised everybody by announcing that he intended to book the track for an attempt to drive a Napier unaided at sixty miles per hour for an entire day and night - twenty four hours. A feat that was thought absolutely impossible, medical opinion at the time being that he would "lose his reason after eighteen hours".

The outcome of the meeting was that Hugh Locke-King was to spend over £150,000 building Brooklands and Selwyn Edge was to later attempt and achieve his 24 hour record.

Hugh Locke-King hired a man from the Royal Engineers, Colonel Holden to draw up the plans and a skilled railway engineer, John Donaldson to supervise the construction.

For nine months over seven hundred men worked almost around the clock for seven days a week, the only breaks being on Saturday and Sunday nights. The river Wey was diverted, smallholders were re-housed, thirty acres of woodland were felled and 350,000 cubic yards of earth were moved. Seven miles of rail track was laid and 200,000 tons of gravel and cement were brought in and cast to become the race track.

As well as the outer circuit, a finishing straight ran from the reverse curve section known as the fork to the member's banking making the overall track length 3.25 miles (5.23 km) of which two miles were level, the remainder being banked.

Chalk was brought from Reigate to build up the banking and workmen were drafted in from far and wide to swell the number of men on the site to over two thousand.

Ten steam grabs, countless traction engines and a dozen steam navvies dug away earth here and banked it up there to gradually create the banked sections. Because the centre of the site was swampy it had to be built up by five feet to form the finishing straight for a kilometre and a further acre also raised to the same height to form the site for the clubhouse, the paddock and the surrounding sheds.

During the excavations 1,600 year old Roman coins and urns were unearthed thus proving that the Romans had indeed formed a settlement at Brooklands.

The top layer of the track was originally to be tarmac but ultimately a six inch thick layer of gravel and Portland cement was laid. Asphalt could only be laid on concrete and so would have been too expensive and tarmac would have had to be rolled. This of course was a near impossibility on the steep banked sections, so the final decision was to use concrete which could be laid in shuttered sections from the bottom of the banked sections upwards.

Today if you take a short walk from the clubhouse to the member's banking you will see how well this has survived in nearly ninety years of use and abuse. Bumpy because the ballast underneath has settled but largely still intact at the surface. The track surface although damaged during the first war by military vehicles was repaired afterwards but never really recovered and by the thirties was heartily disliked for its bumpiness by many drivers including the Great Tim Birkin who voiced his disapproval in his autobiography Full Throttle. The second war saw major destruction as part of the banking was demolished and trees were planted through the concrete as camouflage against enemy aircraft which could pick out the track from over sixty miles away.

Even in 1906 there were many trucks on the English roads but despite this horses were used to do the pulling work at Brooklands. Perhaps this is not so surprising if you consider that when the first world war broke out seven years later, battles were still traditionally being fought on horseback and it had only been three years earlier, on the 17th December 1903 at Kittyhawk, that Orville Wright had become the first man to fly a powered aeroplane for a brief twelve seconds.

At first the workmen lived in chicken huts with fir branches for the roofs but then the medical health officer arrived on the scene and decreed that a large wooden hut had to be built for use as a dormitory. As well as the road builders, two hundred carpenters were employed to build spectator stands and seating for 5,000 people and to erect fencing and sentry boxes each of which was spaced at 300 yard intervals around the track. In all, the area occupied was almost 340 acres with a spectator capacity of 250,000.

The Grand Opening
On Monday June 17th 1907 the track was officially opened with an informal lunch party in the clubhouse for the various motor and horse racing leading lights of the time, with many of the press in attendance. A long procession of road and racing cars left the clubhouse for an initial tour of the track headed by Ethel Locke-King in her Itala after which one make groups of cars went out to be followed by the sight of a Darracq which ran high up the banking achieving a top speed of about 90 mph! Yes, it is true - 90 mph in 1907 while just over the fence the speed limit was 20 mph.

Espace

Henry Fortesque

CINDERELLA BIBLIOGRAPHY
by Russell A. Peck

OPERA AND MUSICAL COMEDY:
Cinderella Operas (arranged chronologically):
(.........)


Mr. Cinders. Goodspeed Opera House, East Haddam, Conn. 22 October to
18 December 1988. Produced by the Goodspeed Opera House. Executive Director: Michael P. Price. A Musical Comedy, directed by Martin Connor. Book and Lyrics by Clifford Grey and Greatrex Newman. Music by Vivian Ellis and Richard Myers. Additional Lyrics by Leo Robin. Settings by James Leonard Joy. Lighting by Curt Osterman. Costumes by David Toser. Choreography by Dan Siretta. Musical Director: Lynn Crigler. Orchestrations by Russell Wamer and Lynn Crigler. Stage Manager: Michael Brunner.
Cast: Charles Repole (Jim Lancaster), Beth Austin (Jill Kemp), Tom Batten (Henry Kemp), Bill Ullman (Guy Beardsley-Lancaster), Drew Taylor (Lumley Beardsley-Lancaster), Iggie Wolfington (Sir George Lancaster), Patricia Kilgarriff (Lady Lancaster), Angela Nicholas (Penelope Spencer), Reness Laverdiere (Becky bartlett), Pamela Clifford (Minerva Kemp), Ian Thomson (Smith the Butler), Holly Evers (Enid Brinkly), Mikki Whittles (Cynthia Boyce), David Monzione (Charles Wylde), Ken Skrzesz (Freddie Whymper), Katy Cavanaugh (Phyllis Patterson), Tim Foster (Henry Fortesque), Gary Kirsch (Bunny Hayes), Teresa Parent (Lucy Larkin), Farnham Scott (P. C. Marks).
(.........)

http://www.lib.rochester.edu/camelot/cinder/cin12.htm

Helene Fortescu Reynolds

 




































Lire Plus…